Monday, May 15, 2017

Hi guys, how are you? Well, last night we talked about the present and past participle forms of verbs using them as nouns and adjectives. Now, as I said, let's see more uses of those verb forms in different contexts. Observe the following passage carefully:
I became ispired by my English teacher to master this language. A dedicated teacher that he was, he always taught us how to write different kinds of sentences bearing more or less the same meaning. Thus, we learnt transforming one kind of sentence into another. He used to set us translating big passages from even Sharatchandra Chatterjee's novels. He said, 'Writing makes a man perfect. Listening to news casting in English helps correcting pronunciation.' He made me deeply interested in reading Shakespeare's plays and sonnets.
Now observe that the words in bold italics have been derived from the base form of the verbs inspire, dedicate, bear, mean, transform, translate, write, listen, cast and read. They are either present or past participle form of these verbs. Can't you understand their meaning and function? I hope you can. If not, don't hesitate to ask me questions. Just remember that ing forms may be either noun (subject, object or complement) or adjective (modifying a noun/pronoun) but the past participle form is always adjective.
Note: Remember that only verbs and prepositions have objects. For example:A. I like reading novels. B. I am fond of reading novels. C. He is meditating.  In A, 'reading' is object to verb like; but in B, 'reading' is object to the preposition of. And in C, 'meditating' is complement to the verb is.

That's all for now guys. Good night and sweet dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment