Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Hi friends! Good evening. I'm back again. We've already discussed a good number of grammar items which, I hope, may help young learners. Tonight, let's discuss how complex/compound sentences (statements) can be changed into simple ones. Look below:
                     Complex/Compound                                            Simple
I am so tired that I cannot walk any more.>  I am too tired to walk any more.
You are so idle that you cannot pass. > You are too idle to pass.
He is so rich that he can buy a plane. > He is rich enough to buy a plane.
He is so funny that he made us all laugh. > He funny enough to make us all laugh.
Note: Observe the difference between a negative and an affirmative verb (action) i,e, cannot walk and can buy. Also note that the connective THAT has been omitted in the simple statement.
Though he was hard-working, he failed. > In spite of being hard-working, he failed.
Although he started first, he finished last. > In spite of starting first, he finished last.
Note: (Al)though > In spite of. and the Subject of the first part is omitted. Every other thing remains the same.
He ate his breakfast and sat to study. > Eating/Having eaten his breakfast, he sat to study.
He went home and saw his mother ill. > Going/Having gone home, he saw his mother ill.
Do it and you'll face the consequence. > By doing it, you'll face the consequence.
Unless you do it, you'll be punished. > Without doing it, you'll be punished.
Do it or you'll die. > Without doing it, you'll die.
Friends, do all these seem very difficult? Please take the trouble to ask questions. That's all for now. Good night and sweet dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment