Good evening friends. Yesternight we talked about a few difficulties in determining tense and suggested solutions thereto. Now let's discuss how to change one type of sentence into another. We've already learnt that sentences are of five kinds; viz, statement (assertive), interrogative, imperative, optative and exclamatory. Now let's see how they can be interchanged. Look below:
I am going home. He has gone home. We shall go home. I can do it. (statement)
Am I going home? Has he gone home? Shall we go home? Can I do it? (question)
Now see that just by putting the HV (=helping verb) before the agent/subject, a statement can be changed into a question. All sentences starting with an HV can be changed in the same way. Look below again:
We have been playing football for an hour. (statement)
Have we been playing football for an hour? (question)
N.B.:- When there are more than one HV, put the first before the agent/subject.
Now, what can we do ifthere is no HV? Look below:
We/You go home. He goes home. He did it. (statements)
Do* we/you go home? Does* he go home? Did* he do it? (question)
* When there is no HV, 'do' in the present and 'did' in the past tense is put before the subject to make questions.
Now let's see how questions can be made with question-words and for what purpose. Look below:
He is at home now. (statement)
Who is at home now? (question - to ask about a person)
I went home. (stement)
Where did I go? (question - to ask about place)
I want a book. (statement)
What do I want? (question - to ask about a thing)
I went to school at 10.00 a.m. (statement)
When did* I go to school? (question - to ask about time)
I did the job easily. (statement)
How did I do the job? (question - to ask about the manner of doing the job)
I work for money. (statement)
Why do I work? (question - to ask about reason/cause)
From the above statements and questions you can easily understand how to ask questions about persons, place, time, manner and reason and how to answer them.
That's all for now. Feel free to ask any question. Good night and sweet dreams.
For convenience, go to my blog S.Ali's Monologue => http://sardarsali-bangladeshtour-blogpost.com
No comments:
Post a Comment